Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Half-Full


There was a time when I would very easily and very quickly categorize myself as a 'Glass Half-Empty'-Type Personality.

I don't believe that to be true anymore. In fact, I'm not even sure it is even possible these days to feel negatively about anything regarding this mission. It just feels too darn good.

Don't get me wrong, I still get bummed out about stuff. I worry about my son. Though I am less AFRAID than I used to be (more on that another time). But I get bummed. My wife was watching some old video tonight, and it stung to see Bennett saying 'Hi Dadda.' as clear as a bell at 17 months or so, just as happy as a clam, and he still can't say the two together in a sentence now.

He turns four in November.

Brain tumors? They kinda suck. And Infantile Spasms suck even more.

And that bums me out...so never fret, I didn't suddenly grow 17 additional inches in height, sprout a fantastically huge set of teeth and an enormous and manly yet subtly sexy chin, begin writing several self-help books and start planning a motivational speaking tour in a city near you.

Though I wish I did.


Cause isn't he just dreamy?

But you can't look at the fact that here, today, it is August 9th, we are 3 days away from what will be the One Month Anniversary of the official 'start date' of this website, and we weren't even accepting DONATIONS at that time, and because of the staggering generosity of so many people, we have gone over the top of the mountain as of this morning.

That's right. We are now over 50% of the way towards the completion of our Mission One goal.


That's right. Cat's know everything. Including how to celebrate.

We have four kids who have received iPads...Christopher, Luke, Sam and Elizabeth. There will be a bit of a delay in the Elizabeth post, because she still is not back from her grandparents, but her Mom has confirmed that the iPad2 has landed, is loaded, and is ready for launch into her daughter's hands this coming Friday.


Three more iPads have been purchased, and those three families have all been kept in the loop on the progress of their fund acquisition and purchasing.

Those three iPads were wrapped up today and are going out tomorrow to Levi, Jake and Jaxson. They actually WOULD have shipped today, but you can blame me for that. Carter, that is my older son, was inexplicably doubled over in pain all day. So it was a bit dicey all day long.


But they will go out tomorrow, but that isn't the end of the good news, because if you look at the Donation Total, and at the new graphic buttons, an iPad was given to Becca a week or so ago via private donation.

We also have the funds raised for ANOTHER two iPads, those for Sofia and Marissa, and we are inches away from enough for Addison's, and as soon as we get there we'll pick up those three.

It just floors me...how far this whole thing has come, in so short a time. And I believe our best efforts as a community are still yet to come. I'm so excited, this makes me want to pop open an ice cold Dos Equis and have a drink with The Most Interesting Man in the World.


And I don't even DRINK.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Oh and...PEACE!

Yeah...PEACE.

-Ken
On behalf of:
The Mission: iPossible! Group


PS...A Special HAPPY BIRTHDAY Shout-Out to Sarah, at My Name is Sarah, who turns 22 today. Happy Birthday, young lady!


11 comments:

Shannon said...

I don't drink either, but I might join you for a sip or two! This is just simply amazing. I have a feeling this is going to be bigger than any of you ever dreamed! It's definitely not going to end with these iPads!

Mr. Kaduck said...

I cannot believe this is all moving along SO quickly....amazing & impressive.

Kris said...

Well, I guess I'd better have a drink for both Shannon and Ken :) Cheers! And happy birthday Sarah!

blogzilly said...

Shannon:
I sincerely hope so. Indeed.

Mr.K:
HEY!!! I have been trying to reach you...you are the one parent I have not received a firm answer on regarding the use of 'iChildName' instead of the existing Codename. I'm thinking maybe my e-mail got bounced. Let me know when you get a chance, k?

blogzilly said...

Hi Kris...not ignoring you...we crossed the streams apparently.

Bethany said...

Found you through comments of other bloggers on A Moon Worn as if by a Shell blog. Fantastic work. Great site.

Jacob's Mommy said...

I love that damn cat! Good will and generosity breed momentum. I am SO happy for everyone involved - donors, recipients, and our Mission administrators alike.

kellys said...

Pretty darned amazing, Team Mission iPossible! Too early for a cocktail, but just raised my coffee cup to you all...

Stryder Wolfe said...

Congrats Ken and everyone! Great work!!

Justine said...

Seriously wonderful. Exceeding all my expectations (and I am a glass-half-full person, even with the previous happenings).

Kim said...

So much to say:
1. I am so incredibly impressed with how well and how quickly your hard work and dedication has paid off for these kids and their families!
2. Tony Robbins is scary as all hell. Yikes.
3. Cats rock.
4. TMIMITW rocks and I think you all deserve a free beer with him.