Wednesday, August 17, 2011

iLevi


One of the most difficult things in writing these 'iPosts' is not what you might think.

Most people think I find it difficult to think of things to write about, or have trouble coming up with an 'angle', a way of approaching each separate 'iPost' uniquely and differently, in order to make each one of them special. Frankly, that part is easy.

Each CHILD is special. Each CHILD is unique. I don't have to try in the least bit to figure out anything when it comes to making an attempt at presenting them. They present themselves just fine, thank you very much. They are so beautiful, so perfect, in every way.


No, what is difficult for me is that I wish I could be there for these presentations. More than you can ever really know. And it is purely selfish of me, I realize that, but there is such a power in seeing these images when they arrive, it is SO real and SO tangible, that to actually be fortunate enough to be there and watch these children as they learn and explore new and exciting worlds would really be something.

Of course, the WAY we present the iPad2 devices would have to change. It never occurred to me, until it was recently brought up by one of the families about some applications, not in a snarky way but just as a matter of fact, that these arrive to the family all wrapped up. But does that really make a lot of sense, when you think about it?


If it is wrapped, and you hand it to the child, it is a box that has an iPad2 in it, but NOTHING ELSE!

OOPS!

Hadn't really thought about that before! It has to be configured, with applications installed, and all that junk. So wrapping it might not be such a nifty idea after all!


BUT...since we started out by wrapping on this Mission One, I think we should continue to the end by doing it, for consistency. When we start Mission Two, we will probably change this approach. But more on that in a bit. First let's hear from Angie, Levi's Mom...

'THANK YOU!!! I have watched in utter amazement as you all have taken what was once a disheartening situation and turned it into a opportunity to bless a group of children who often get overlooked in the world. My sweet Levi was DELIGHTED when he opened his gift! He loves playing on my iPhone, so the bigger screen is perfect for his fat little piggies!

He also was so enthralled with the App (Build a Train) that he actually sat still and FOCUSED for quite a long time!

This will not just be entertainment for Levi. The possibilities of what he can learn are endless and that not only benefits him, but our entire family! Just the thought of him being able to communicate his wants and needs fills me with excitement!!


We just brought home Levi's sister from Russia. She and Levi are both 4 (11 days apart) and both have Down Syndrome. She is also non-verbal. I am thrilled that she too will benefit from this give-away!!'

That is awesome, two for one! And clearly, Angie re-wrapped the iPad2 after opening and installing the Apps, which is cool, and I wanted to let any of the Parents know...please, do NOT worry about it! If you do, great. If not, don't sweat it. We aren't!

The kids are getting their iPad2s! Consider the wrapped item as our gift to YOUR family, and you don't need to take any photos of your child unwrapping a present or anything, this is not what matters to any of us, seriously.


What we care about are lots of shots of your child playing with and learning with the new device. THOSE shots we do love to see, and lots of them, so keep them coming! And remember, you don't have to stop with the first round of photos. We have a Facebook page, and in it there is a Photo Album that is dedicated to your child...and it is HUNGRY for photographs!

As are we all. :)

PEACE.

-Ken
On behalf of:
The Mission: iPossible! Group

7 comments:

philnjill said...

Every one of these write ups fills me with happiness.

Justine (Romy's Mama) said...

What a great 2fer! Beautiful children!

Justine said...

How do these just keep getting better and better? I didn't think it was possible. Amazing (a word I feel is very overused these days, but it really fits here).

And I think it is great that there is another Justine here!

blogzilly said...

2 Justine's, 2 Luke's, 2 Sam's, 2 Angie's, 2 of a LOT of things...wild!

Happy to report that I cam home from the Apple store today with a sore throat from telling the story of this little group, a bored 7-year old, and 4 more iPads.

The 7-year old perked up when he realized I had a pocketful of quarters to hit the vending machine rack nearby that had these little ninjas in them, no all he wants to do is go BACK to the Apple store.

Buttons to the right on the Four have been updated, and the Four families will be getting e-mail updates with shipping into tonight.

Hey PHIL...how's it going man...I am always tickled when you comment, I love it that you are here my friend.

philnjill said...

Ken, I read every single one of your write ups!!

Melissa said...

I love these posts, and hope that more pictures are posted as time goes on.

Justine said...

Ken, I hope you get to make your seven-year-old happy by going back to the Apple store soon. :)

Great news about the FOUR!